Normal thoughts are often chaotic and destructive, while spiritual awareness is creative and empowering. You cannot become love as long as you are more entranced by your thoughts than you are devoted to the love of God.
Thoughts generated from the lower ego-mind can be tremendously distracting, uncontrollable, and draining. Thoughts coming from the God-Self are generated from what can be called the aware Mind and are focused, enlightening, and enlivening.
“How can the mind, which is so restless, attain lasting peace? …the mind is restless, turbulent, powerful, violent; trying to control it is like trying to tame the wind.” -From the Bhagavad Gita
To unravel the formidable barrier the mind/ego represents, we must recognize the defective foundation upon which it sits. Remove this foundation and it collapses on its own. As it collapses, the God-Self replaces it. Now please think these next two questions through slowly and carefully.
1. Can your eye see itself?
2. Can the tongue taste itself?
Much like the eye cannot see itself, nor can the tongue taste itself, the mind cannot clearly perceive itself. Only from your true essence—spirit—can the mind be clearly seen. The spiritual realm is a vantage point above the mental realm.
Here are the key points to master the mind:
- I must see that “I” am not the thinker; the ego is the thinking mind and that my thoughts don’t mean anything.
- I must release the belief that thought is always creative, and that thinking is pleasurable.
- I must release the belief that thoughts are valuable, and that since I’m thinking them, they must be right.
- I need to see that I’m never upset for the reasons I think—I’m upset because I think.
The ego-mind sees only the past, which it overlays onto the now.
Once I realize that the God-self is who I really am, I will center my power, become present, and create anew.
Also, consider the following key aspects of how the ego-thinking mind thrives:
- Rehashing the Past: Continually overlaying prior negative events onto the moment of now, which limits present joy and growth.
- Future Fantasies: Dreaming and worrying about the future without focusing on the reality of the present, which causes paralysis.
- Projections: Superimposing one’s personal experiences, thoughts, and meanings onto others and erroneously believing they are truth, which causes mental and spiritual blindness.
- Return of the Victim: Repetition of a past moment of helplessness and/or wallowing in it for the perverse inner “juice” derived from playing the victim, which causes disempowerment.
- Random Repetitions: A mind loop in which the ego obsessively replays a thought or event, which causes confusion and clutter.
- Polarized Opinions: Perceiving a conversation or idea that ignites an automatic positionality, or side taken against another side, which causes vehement frustration, negativity, or even violence.
These represent the six main games of the ego that serve as the moorings upon which it is constructed. Simple exposure to these lessons will help you identify them as they arise, revealing them in the light of your awareness.
The defining point to manifest the emergence of the highest version of you occurs by crossing over from the thinking mind (mental) to the aware mind (spiritual). The insights that are constantly originating from the aware mind are drowned out by the continuous noise of the ego-thinking mind.
Once it is silenced, you will clearly access the genius that was always there, just waiting for you to tap into. New questions, business ideas, inventions, seminars, unwritten books, CD/DVD projects, and high-level conversations will effortlessly begin to flow through you.
“The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.”
Steve D’Annunzio is the founder of the Soul Purpose Institute, the author of The Prosperity Paradigm, and a productivity trainer and life success coach to Fortune 100 executives, professional athletes, and high-performance entrepreneurs. For twenty years, he has been helping people identify their passion, develop it into a business idea, and deliver it to the world.
A member of the Transformational Leadership Council, Steve has shared the stage with world-changers like Dr. Deepak Chopra, Dr. Wayne Dyer, Marianne Williamson, Jack Canfield, and Barbra-Marx Hubbard.
He uses principles of higher awareness to inspire others to be far greater versions of themselves than they ever knew to be possible. By combining scientific and spiritual truth, he co-creates inner transformations for people to experience more outer prosperity in their life.
He is an author and composer of many books, paradigms, and artistic projects that have the common theme of alleviating human suffering and enhancing joy.
Steve lives with his family in Rochester, New York.